2.16.2010

Baby Room: Window Treatments

After brainstorming on what to do for the windows in the baby's room, I came across a couple of blog entries like this one and this one to make pelmet boxes. They looked so easy to make I had to give it a try.
This is what I had to buy:
2 42'' foam boards
duct tape
hot glue gun
batting
1.5 yards of fabric
exacto knife
First I cut the front of what the box would look like. These boxes I cut out are about 14'' long and about 42'' wide.
Then I cut out some pieces for the back of the box that will allow it to hang from the wall. The long ones are 3'' long and 42'' wide and the small ones are 3'' long and 14'' wide.
After I had everything cut out, I taped them with duct tape to make the shape of the box. I put the piece of board on top so that it can rest on the curtain rod and I don't have to screw anything to the wall.
Then I cut out the batting and fabric and laid it out under the box and started gluing it to the foam board with the hot glue gun.
After a lot of burnt fingers from the hot glue gun and a lot of creative pulling and tugging of the fabric, I came up with this final product. To make it stay up, I actually put a couple of drops of hot glue on the the ends of the curtain rod and pressed on the top of the foam board that goes directly above the rod to keep it in place. Tadahh! hope you liked it!

1 comment:

Dave and Rachel said...

Oh my goodness..I love it!! It looks so good next to the color you painted the wall! His room is looking so cute!
I need to make one for my window now! haha Look what you get me started on!